Re: My comments on the WM spec (fwd)

[snip]

> > >My implementation uses:
> > >
> > >     e.xclient.type = ClientMessage;
> > >     e.xclient.message_type = net_desktop_geometry;
> > >     e.xclient.window = root_window;
> > >     e.xclient.format = 32;
> > >     e.xclient.data.l[0] = desktop;
> > >     e.xclient.data.l[1] = new_width;
> > >     e.xclient.data.l[2] = new_height;
> >
> > is this really per desktop ? or is the spec more correct ?
>
> The wording in the current spec made me believe so:
>
> "Array of two cardinals that defines the width and height of each desktop
> in pixels."

heh, not that I ask for change, but out of curiousity: What is
the use of different desktop geometry for each desk ? I'm pretty sure that

most (if not all) window managers will not support it, making all the
desktops
the same size.
For this window managers, would not it cause race condition,
when Pager will endlessly try to "correct" geometry to really be
different,
despite the fact that WM always makes it the same ?
like:
Pager :                 sets geom of desk 1 to 1024x768, desk 2 to
2048x1536
window manager:   sets everything to 2048x1536
Pager :                 checks property and sees that geometry is
incorrect for desk 1
Pager :                 sets geom of desk 1 to 1024x768
window manager:   sets everything to 1024x768
Pager :                 checks property and sees that geometry is
incorrect for desk 2
Pager :                 sets geom of desk 2 to 2048x1536

and on and on and on....

[snip]

> >Bradley T. Hughes <bhughes trolltech com>

Cheers
Sasha Vasko