Re: My comments on the WM spec

Owen wrote:

> _NET_VIRTUAL_ROOTS
>
> Is this a) an (unordered) list of all virtual root windows other
> than the real root window, or b) a list of the window that
> corresponds to each desktop, either real or virtual?
>
> I'm a little nervous about including this since it is known
> that using virtual root windows introduces a number of problems
> for various operations (the ICCCM claims that a protocol
> extension would be needed to properly implement virtual root
> windows.)

The ICCCM is right that this simple-minded approach to virtual roots
can't work properly. If you want to know why, read Keith Packards
work about a pseudo-root extension. It can be found at
 http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/talks/proot.tar.gz.

Matthias

Sorry, I'm not on the list, please cc me if you reply.