Re: My comments on the WM spec (fwd)

snip]

> > >My implementation uses:
> > >
> > > e.xclient.type = ClientMessage;
> > > e.xclient.message_type = net_desktop_geometry;
> > > e.xclient.window = root_window;
> > > e.xclient.format = 32;
> > > e.xclient.data.l[0] = desktop;
> > > e.xclient.data.l[1] = new_width;
> > > e.xclient.data.l[2] = new_height;
> >
> > is this really per desktop ? or is the spec more correct ?
>
> The wording in the current spec made me believe so:
>
> "Array of two cardinals that defines the width and height of each
desktop
> in pixels."

Makes sense.

> > >Agreed.

> > >For completeness, the format I use:
> > >
> > > e.xclient.type = ClientMessage;
> > > e.xclient.message_type = net_desktop_viewport;
> > > e.xclient.window = root_window;
> > > e.xclient.format = 32;
> > > e.xclient.data.l[0] = desktop;
> > > e.xclient.data.l[1] = new_x;
> > > e.xclient.data.l[2] = new_y;
> >
> > again is this really per desktop ?
>
> Again, the current spec says so:
>
> "Array of two cardinals that define the top left corner of the current
> view in pixel, for each desktop."
>
> [snip]

Ditto.

> > >I agree with Sasha that the coordinates are taken wrt to the screen.
> >
> > that should be made explicit in the spec.
>
> Definately, to make sure all implementations behave the same :)

> > >Again, my implementation:
> > >
> > >    e.xclient.type = ClientMessage;
> > >    e.xclient.message_type = net_close_window;
> > >    e.xclient.window = root_window;
> > >    e.xclient.format = 32;
> > >    e.xclient.data.l[0] = window;
> > >    e.xclient.data.l[1] = 0l;
> > >    e.xclient.data.l[2] = 0l;
> > >    e.xclient.data.l[3] = 0l;
> > >    e.xclient.data.l[4] = 0l;
> >
> > could you update the spec ?
>
> Could I update the spec?

I'm sure you could ! I've no time at the moment. The docbook sgml is
pretty
obvious. Havoc can give you CVS access, or just get the latest version off
freedesktop.org, and mail an update back to him. He won't mind, if you're
nice :)

pls update the version number and (preferably) add a changes section.

Julian