Re: My comments on the WM spec (fwd)

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Julian Adams wrote:

> Hi Bradley - I've put up a new version of the spec on freedesktop.org
> - or at least I've sent it to Havoc - it will be version 1.0 pre 3 when
> it appears.
>
> I note your implementation differs from the current proposal (see
> below). would you be able to update the spec. Do you think this would be
> ok ?

[snip]

> >> _NET_DESKTOP_GEOMETRY
> >>
> >>  Its probably worth saying that this size must be equal or
> >>  greater than the actual dimensions of the screen
> >>  as determined by ScreenWidth, ScreenHeight.
> >>
> >>  [ Current proposals to make it possible to change the size of the
> >>  screen on the fly might cause this to be momemtarily violated when
> >>  changing screen size ]
> >>
> >>  The specification of the format for _NET_DESKTOP_GEOMETRY
> >>  client messages is missing.
> >
> >My implementation uses:
> >
> >	e.xclient.type = ClientMessage;
> >	e.xclient.message_type = net_desktop_geometry;
> >	e.xclient.window = root_window;
> >	e.xclient.format = 32;
> >	e.xclient.data.l[0] = desktop;
> >	e.xclient.data.l[1] = new_width;
> >	e.xclient.data.l[2] = new_height;
>
> is this really per desktop ? or is the spec more correct ?

The wording in the current spec made me believe so:

"Array of two cardinals that defines the width and height of each desktop
in pixels."

> >>  Also, I would recommend making this section correspond to
> >>  _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS by saying that the window manager is not
> >>  required to honour _NET_DESKTOP_GEOMETRY client messages.
> >
> >Agreed.
> >
> >> _NET_DESKTOP_VIEWPORT
> >>
> >>  Might also be useful to specify the constraints that
> >>
> >>   0 <= x < desktop geometry width - ScreenWidth
> >>   0 <= y < desktop geometry height - ScreenHeight
> >>
> >>  Somewhere, the spec should to specify whether coordinates for client
> >>  windows when mapping the window or in ConfigureRequest are taken with
> >>  respect to the viewport origin or the desktop origin. I believe the
> >>  standard is to use the desktop origin, but would have to check what
> >>  various window managers do.
> >>
> >>  Again the client message format is missing
> >
> >For completeness, the format I use:
> >
> >	e.xclient.type = ClientMessage;
> >	e.xclient.message_type = net_desktop_viewport;
> >	e.xclient.window = root_window;
> >	e.xclient.format = 32;
> >	e.xclient.data.l[0] = desktop;
> >	e.xclient.data.l[1] = new_x;
> >	e.xclient.data.l[2] = new_y;
>
> again is this really per desktop ?

Again, the current spec says so:

"Array of two cardinals that define the top left corner of the current
view in pixel, for each desktop."

[snip]

> >> _NET_WORKAREA
> >>
> >>  Should say that the coordinates here are taken with respect
> >>  to the the current viewport. (If they are.)
> >
> >I agree with Sasha that the coordinates are taken wrt to the screen.
>
> that should be made explicit in the spec.

Definately, to make sure all implementations behave the same :)

> >> _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW
> >>
> >>  There is a formatting problem with client message format
> >>  specification.
> >
> >Again, my implementation:
> >
> >    e.xclient.type = ClientMessage;
> >    e.xclient.message_type = net_close_window;
> >    e.xclient.window = root_window;
> >    e.xclient.format = 32;
> >    e.xclient.data.l[0] = window;
> >    e.xclient.data.l[1] = 0l;
> >    e.xclient.data.l[2] = 0l;
> >    e.xclient.data.l[3] = 0l;
> >    e.xclient.data.l[4] = 0l;
>
> could you update the spec ?

Could I update the spec?

[supersnip]

--
Bradley T. Hughes <bhughes trolltech com>
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98B N-0175 Oslo, Norway