Re: Collating proposed changes to 1.9e

>I sat down and looked over the session management spec, and it seems
>that it only concerns itself with the window manager preserving session
>information across session boundaries. So if you close an app before
>ending the session, the window manager is not expected to save any state
>information about that client. (Can anyone confirm this?)
>
>Which would mean that users would need to set 'on top' _every_ _time_
>they run some programs, even if they use a session manager. Make a user
>run through that window-manager-specific nonsense every time they run
>that app, and shortly very few of them will agree that they can 'easily
>request' it.

The fact that the session management spec doesn't require a feature doesn't
mean a wm can't provide that feature! For example, E lets you set properties
such as "stays on top" for all windows of a particular class, eg all xterms.
If you open a new xterm it will automatically stay on top. You can also set
properties for individual windows, which will be lost when you close that
window. This is just as flexible and convenient as per-client configuration,
but it offers consistency (even with legacy apps).

Michael