Re: Collating proposed changes to 1.9e

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 05:14:51PM +0100, Michael ROGERS wrote:

> There are two scenarios where I can imagine a client might use a stay-on-top
> hint:
>
> The client wishes to keep one of its windows stacked above its other windows,
> eg because it is a modal dialog. Most window managers will attmpt to keep
> transient windows stacked above their owners, especially if they are modal,
> so no hint is needed for this.
>
> The user has asked the client to stay on top of other clients, so that it is
> always visible. The user can just as easily request this via the window
> manager, so no hint is needed.

I sat down and looked over the session management spec, and it seems
that it only concerns itself with the window manager preserving session
information across session boundaries. So if you close an app before
ending the session, the window manager is not expected to save any state
information about that client. (Can anyone confirm this?)

Which would mean that users would need to set 'on top' _every_ _time_
they run some programs, even if they use a session manager. Make a user
run through that window-manager-specific nonsense every time they run
that app, and shortly very few of them will agree that they can 'easily
request' it.

Jeff Raven