Re: NET WM Spec implementation and changes

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Bradley T. Hughes wrote:

> matthias ettrich and i have collaborate and worked on an API (in C++) that
> uses raw Xlib to implement the new NET spec... we did this because KDE was
> waiting on the finalization/implemenation of this spec so that it could
> declare an API freeze...
>
> so... matthias and i set out to implement the spec.  i have placed the
> sources (and docs for the API) at
>
> http://trolls.troll.no/~bhughes/
>
> for people that want to start using it.  KDE2 has the same source in CVS
> (iirc, it was committed friday), and blackbox is using it now as well.

Coolness. I'm looking forward to this a lot.

> While implementing the spec, we had a few ideas for a later
> revision... namely, we wanted to talk the raw protocol (and not use
> Xlib) so that we could fetch properties in one round-trip to the X
> server... the API permits this now, but the implementation just uses
> XGetWindowProperty() for now...
>
> we also had a few problems with rationalizing some of the things in the
> current revision (1.9e i believe...
>  http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/ doesn't list the curent
> version)...
>
> let me outline the changes we made (i will write up a more complete
> revision to place at an easy url... and make the things we did not change
> more specific)... is the spec still accessible through anon-cvs?

I wanted to apologize to the folks here about responsiveness. Several
people have asked for the SGML I did way back, and I've been hopping busy
IRL and havent been able to find it on my (*growing and far too
cluttered*) home network.

I've been keeping tabs on this, however, and while traffic seems to come
in spurts, it's nice to see that this is nearing completion at long last.

Out of curiosity, what will occur when the spec is finalized and people
start adopting it? At that point will code be implemented within the GNOME
libs and KDE source, etc., to support the client side of the spec? Ie.,
what the WM is supporting via the hints? So theoretically even if the WM
were compliant, it still might be a little bit before the functionality
actually makes it to the desktop?

- --
Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688
IN CONSTRUCTION:                        http://gnome.windsofstorm.net