Re: layer and strut hints are unnecessary

Hi!

>> How does one configure the thing to keep the dock applications on top?
>
>You don't. That's what this is all about (please read on before
>you begin to laugh).

I wan't to keep taskbar, panel, ... on top because:
   - icewm maximized the window by placing the window resize border
outside the screen (the client area and titlebar occupy the screen).
   - if the taskbar was not always on top of the window, it would be
partially be covered by window border.

If on-top really annoys you, make it optional in fvwm (in icewm you will
be able to override it too).

>   p5) The user has to configure the WM to discipline applications
>       that don't behave well.

I think we should strive to make the WM as invisible as possible. If the
panel has the on-top hint set, it should obviously have in it's configuration
an option to enable/disable it. The user should not have to configure the
WM specially for this.

>    _NET_WM_WINDOW_HIDDEN
>    _NET_WM_WINDOW_REVEALED

I think that more WM support for auto-hide windows is needed, but I am not
sure this is what we need (I never, ever use auto-hide windows, so I don't
have much experience with them)... It might be a good idea...

Mark

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net