Re: layer and strut hints are unnecessary

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Marko Macek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> >> - desktop (stays below other windows)
> >> - fullscreen (window can occupy the entire screen, not just the
> >> WORKAREA).
> >> - on-top
>
> >Agree. But doesn't that bascially imply the four layers "Desktop,
> >Normal, OnTop, FullScreen"?
>
> >Since things like OnTop and Desktop are mutual exclusive, I thought
> >Gnome's layer concept is a nice general approach. I had no (and
> >don't have ) interest in implementing more layers then these four in
> >kwm anyway.
>
> Desktop,Normal,OnTop might work.
>
> I'd like to implement 2 special behaviors though:
>   - desktop can be raised by special command and gets lowered immediatelly
> as another window gets raised.
>
>   - fullscreen windows can be raised above ontop windows, but get lowered
> below if another window is activated.
>
> This can't be cleanly done with layers.

I like both suggestions and indeed I planned to implement both of them in the
KDE window manager. But I can't really see why these interfere  with the layer
concept. For me, layers have a purely semantic meaning. It's totally up to the
window manager, what to do with it.

So maybe the word "LAYER" is wrong? Indeed LAYER seems to indicate a static
stacking order (so do the GNOME hints with support for windows *between*
layers).

Matthias