Re: minor comments to 1.9c spec

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Marko Macek wrote:

> I have only a few comments so far (still have to compare with my notes):
>
> 1. Exact semantics should be explained for:
>
> _NET_ACTIVATE_VISIBLE_{ON_VIEWPORT|ON_DESKTOP|EVERYWHERE}

OK.  I have to say, I'm not entirely clear on this one...  Perhaps someone
could explain it...

> 2. _NET_WM_STATE_MODAL should be _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MODAL
> (modality is not part of window state, it's an application specified
> hint).

Agreed.

Another thing that we definitely need is the SKIP_TASKBAR hint (so that
the erm, Taskbar, knows whether to list it).  In the old (Gnome) spec,
this was in WM_HINTS, and the implication was that this should only be
writeable by the application.  I think that this should definitely be
configurable by the WM also, so should we have _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR?

> 4. urgency hint should only be used for important notifications (icewm
> implementation will be to flash the taskbar entry and the titlebar).

OK.  The idea was that there should be some way for a dialog box to
declare its urgency, so that, for example,  an informational dialog box
just appeared, an error dialog could get raised above windows on the
current desktop, and a critical dialog could appear on the current
desktop.

Are you suggesting that we don't use the ICCCM urgency hint to indicate
this?  Should we have a separate DIALOG_URGENCY hint?

Paul