Re: Decorations (again)

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Marko Macek wrote:
> Paul Warren wrote:

> > OK, so how about we add these to the list [of window types]:
> >
> > Dock - indicates a panel window (as per the layer hint)
> > Desktop - indicates a desktop window (as per the layer hint)
> >
> > Raster has already suggested menu.
> >
> > With that lot, we can then reduce the layer hint to just have:
> >
> > _NET_WIN_LAYER_NORMAL
> > _NET_WIN_LAYER_BELOW
> I suggest this is renamed _NET_WIN_LAYER_DESKTOP (for the filemanager)
> > _NET_WIN_LAYER_ONTOP

I was proposing that _NET_WIN_LAYER_BELOW implies that a window gets
stacked below windows of the same type.  A desktop (filemanager) window
should set its *type* to desktop, and its layer to _NET_WIN_LAYER_NORMAL
(in fact, I think most WMs would choose to ignore the layer hint for a
desktop window anyway).

In another email, you questioned the need for "BELOW".  I think people
will want it, so that they can setup such things as log-tailing term
windows, and the like.

BTW does anyone have the SGML(?) source for the 1.9b spec?

cheers,

Paul