Re: Spec Purpose and Definition

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Marko Macek wrote:

> Michael ROGERS wrote:
>
> > It seems to me that pager interaction makes up a large part of the
> > complexity of the spec, for a small benefit. Many window managers already
> > offer pagers. Those that don't, omit them for a reason. I like your
> > suggestion of defining a single method of swallowing/docking apps, though.
>
> Swallowing doesn't necessarily involve the WM. A good specification will
> bypass the WM completely, by specifiying another window for the module
> to map itself to (for example: on the command line, if the module is an
> executable program).
>
> I'd like an agreement on this, too.
>
> Mark
> --
> ... GUI: WPS.
> Marko.Macek@gmx.net                 http://www.kiss.uni-lj.si/~k4fr0235/

As long as this window *could be* a window that the WM specifies, I think
you're right on. I won't say that it should always be one that the WM
specifies, but if it's available as provided by the WM, then use it first
rather than using something else.

Ie, take GnomeICU for example. If in BlackBox, use the Slit; if AfterStep,
the wharf; if WindowMaker, the dock; etc. (I'm hoping I didn't mix up the
wharf and dock). If not, then default to something else, for example, the
panel like GnomeICU currently does.

Make sense?

Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688
IN CONSTRUCTION:                        http://gnome.windsofstorm.net