Re: Spec Purpose and Definition

> It's still a hint, only given while beeing mapped. The wm may obey or ignore
> it. Applications _should_ be allowed to define its own window layout policy.
> ICCCM encourages that with the USPos hints, unfortunately ICCCM doesn't have a
> concept of one of the most important attributes: maximized. This is why we have
> to add it.

No, this is a misunderstanding. USPosition and USSize are meant to suppress
interactive positioning upon mapping an app that has been started with
an explicit geometry on the cmdline. So these are not to encourage every
app to have its own incompatible layout policy, they are about giving the
*user* control.

> > I think if my computer started switching desktops on its own while I was
> > working, whenever an application thought it had something important to tell
> > me, I would get very irritated. However, I know that E provides this option
> > for popup windows. Can't imagine it being anything but annoying...
>
> As I pointed out it's very useful for particular applications, for example
> knotes. Where's you UNIX spirit? If you don't like a particular application,
> don't use it. We are not here to define what is good or evil or what users
> should do and what not.

Yes, but we are here to increase the uniform and integrated appearance of
desktops. This is certainly not helped by letting every app do its own
window management.

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606