Re: Open to discussion...

Dominik, I'd just like to remind you (*and the list*) that not everyone
here speaks for the GNOME project. Derek is stating his opinion, which I
think that most of us don't tend to share. I believe in making a common
standard where you can mix KDE, GNOME, and an external window manager
seamlessly. That's what this list is about. What he's saying is that there
should be a default WM for GNOME (I agree on that part) and supporting
other WMs is redundant (I do not agree on that part).

I _like_ the way BlackBox handles things, more so that any other window
manager out there. Giving people the option to choose their work
environment when it comes to window managers is a must have, period, in my
opinion. Yes, they may acheive the same thing-- so do emacs and vi. But
why do some people prefer one over the other? Because some people
gravitate to the "style" of how things are done. And if you're going to
sit in front of a machine for 10 hours at a time, the style makes a
difference.

I realize that at times people will get heated about subjects, but please
keep calm and respond in a professional opinion (ok, professional when a
nis server isn't down and people keep walking up to you asking why is my
password failing and you already told their supervisor =).

Thanks,
Nathan.

Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688
IN CONSTRUCTION:                        http://gnome.windsofstorm.net

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 04:46:44AM -0700, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
> > An argument for having a Gnome-specific window manager (or class thereof)
> > Author: Derek Simkowiak (dereks@kd-dev.com)
>
> Ah, I don't know how others feel about that. But after the GNOME folks
> asked for WM developers to participate in a discussion about DE/WM
> compliance I must say that I'm very surprised that you don't even know
> if you need window managers at all. You could even consider it rude to
> ask people: "Hey, couldn't you help us out here, our spec isn't nice
> and we want to improve it. BTW, you won't get anything back for your
> effort." To be honest, I'd never expected this attitude from a GNU
> project. Isn't one principle of GNU to give users the freedom of
> choice, not forcing them to use one particular use model?

<snip>