Re: Fwd: Draft 1

> > Some wms (eg fvwm) allow negative desk numbers.
>
> They do? Why?

I don't know. Perhaps because it is more symmetric, allowing you
to always go left and right.

> You seem to have a problem that properties are mixed with client messages. I
> don't really understand this, since the responsibility is well defined.
> Whenever a window is withdrawn, the client is allowed to change the property,
> otherwise it's the WM's tasks. This is very similar to standard ICCCM
> behaviour. The unmap notify, just to mention an example, is also done with
> additional client messages to the root window in case the window is already
> unmapped ( to indicate that the WM shall withdraw it).

OK, you are probably right. Perhaps I was thinking of the old wm specs,
which were a bit vague about who is allowed to change what.

> > I don't think a wm should be concerned with desktop names. These are
> > only interesting to pagers and the like.
>
> Nope, every WM should have a window menu "SendToDesktop"->"Names of Desktop",
> at least kwm has it (and so did dtwm).

I'm not convinced *every* WM should have it... at least not the nonvirtual
ones:-)

But you mentioned an important point about these names in your last mail:
the wm is responsible for saving them. This is something which we should also
consider for inclusion in the wm-spec: a list of things which a
session-managed wm should save.

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606