Re: Fwd: Draft 1

> NO NO NO, this is a common missunderstanding and many wms get it wrong.
> WM_TRANSIENT is a hint meant for normal dialogs. It may be slightly less
> decorated (for example there's no need for an iconify or maximize button) but
> it should have all handles required to move/resize it.
>
> DECORATION_TOOL is something like the small tools with titlebar known from for
> example CorelDraw.

How often is this going to be useful? Full-sized window decorations are
full-sized for a reason - if they were any smaller they would be
difficult to use.

> TINY is almost like DECORATION_NONE but has a small frame
> around it (no titlebar) so the window can be resized/move with the window
> manager.

So basically it's exactly like a transient window!
This could also be specified by switching off all MWW decoration hints
except BORDER.

> If we have all this, there's absolutely no need to do without DECORATION_NONE,
> even if the old MOTIF hints offers a way to achieve this.

I think everything that's really necessary in the new proposal could be
achieved with MWM hints, and applications would not have to be updated
to use a new set of hints.

Michael Rogers