Re: Open to discussion...

> > 	Therefor, I suggest that the Gnome project abandon its ideological
> > view of "use whatever window manager you want"
>
> Yes.  If we ever want to acheive a fully integrated desktop then I think
> this has to be done.  The argument that people want to be able to stick
> to their favorite wm doesn't hold, I think.  I think most people are happy
> to switch wm at will to get a better integrated desktop.

Frankly, I don't think you loose all that much of the "integrated experience"
if you run Gnome with a non-Gnome aware wm currently.

> > and instead focus on a document that defines a new class of "Gnome
> > window manager".
>
> Yep.  We have Mosquito, being developed by Michael Rogers starting from
> wm2/wmx.  gtkwm is, last time I checked, an abandoned project.  I don't
> know how GnoWM is coming along.

This is all very nice, but no argument against making pre-existing wms
work well with the desktop.

> I'm just one user, but I was strongly considering KDE over Gnome, simply
> because it has its own wm, with a look & feel consistent with the rest of
> the environment. Gnome needs wm with gtk widgets, not just gtk/gnome
> look-a-like themes.

I don't think a wm has that much use for typical toolkit widgets - apart
from menus. This is the reason why I have written a module which adds
gtk menus to fvwm.

Matthias

--
Matthias Clasen,