Re: Open to discussion...

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> 	This is bound to be a controversial email, so hang on to your
> seats.

Pretty much spot on, IMHO.  This is very much what I have said
occasionally on the gnome lists.

> 	Therefor, I suggest that the Gnome project abandon its ideological
> view of "use whatever window manager you want"

Yes.  If we ever want to acheive a fully integrated desktop then I think
this has to be done.  The argument that people want to be able to stick
to their favorite wm doesn't hold, I think.  I think most people are happy
to switch wm at will to get a better integrated desktop.

> and instead focus on a document that defines a new class of "Gnome
> window manager".

Yep.  We have Mosquito, being developed by Michael Rogers starting from
wm2/wmx.  gtkwm is, last time I checked, an abandoned project.  I don't
know how GnoWM is coming along.

> Perhaps we could use the KDE window manager as a model.

I'm just one user, but I was strongly considering KDE over Gnome, simply
because it has its own wm, with a look & feel consistent with the rest of
the environment. Gnome needs wm with gtk widgets, not just gtk/gnome
look-a-like themes.

cheers,

Paul