Re: Open to discussion

Just one rebuttal on the Workspace/Pager issue. Each WM has it's choice of
how to implement workspaces or workspace areas. The pager simply allows
you an easy method of moving from one to another via the panel.

Ie, something I have seen with E (which has it's own panel as well) is
that you can have three large distinct workspace areas. These also contain
4 workspaces within each area.

How the WM handles workspaces/areas really does not apply much to the
pager, as long as they can tell the pager how they did it in a way the
pager can understand. Personally, I prefer the way BlackBox handles it all
where they are all separate, but that's my personal bias.

Having an E pager and a GNOME pager on the panel I would personally
believe is counter-productive.

Personally, I believe that in regards to the wharf/dock/slit issue, that
the particular WM's in question have found very good ways of dealing with
those. I've been using GnomeICU since I got Mandrake 6.0 up and running,
and I'd prefer to have it in a slit/dock/wharf rather than on the panel
which I will end up customizing with easily accessible applications. Even
in 1280x1204, there is only so much space.

I agree that there should be _a_ GNOME Window Manager. I don't agree that
this should preclude other window managers from being able to benefit from
a close interaction with GNOME (or KDE) for that matter.

In the end, I see the interaction between the WM and the UI being the same
scenario with GNOME as with KDE. They have their own WM, but other WM's
(like BlackBox, for one) will work fine with it.

Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688
IN CONSTRUCTION:                        http://gnome.windsofstorm.net