Greets

Hi,

I just subscribed, so I didn't receive any mails yet. I have, however, browsed
the archive, so here are a few comments:

1. I agree with the dislike of the idea with the ButtonPress proxy. It means
asking for trouble. Even more since the "full" solution is even easier: a
simple switch to the WM to not select button events on the root window.

2. Regarding the namespace issue: I wasn't and am not terrible happy about the
choice of the Gnomes to use generic names (like "_WIN_*", "panel" etc.) instead
of prefixed ones. We only have one namespace, so people shouldn't pollute it,
at least not without a wide discussion. For the wm hints this means that the
nice _WIN* names are lost for any future standarized protocol if we don't want
to break the existing gnome apps and window managers.
Since ICCCM suggest prefixing with the company name and we are the internet
community, I suggest using the prefix "_NET_" for any new X atoms. Everything
that is KDE special, shall be prefixed with KDE, same with GNOME, BlackBox,
WindowMaker, E, etc.

3. Desktop should be a window suggestion: Raster is a big fan of the idea and
yes, it has some advantages. But if it's just the desktop-icon problem, there's
another solution: Just make an icon container that is kept on the
Desktop-layer. It's absolutely not necessary that the managed windows have
to be childwindows of this container.

Matthias