Re: Update

On 20 Jun 1999, Elliot Lee wrote:

> To my (limited) knowledge, the GNOME WM spec currently has info on:
> 	. pager interaction
> 	. window style hinting/layers.
> 	. mouse click event routing for root window clicks.
> These are the major things that the desktop needs. There may be
> features to be taken from the kwm hints, as well.

OK.  One thing that I have heard requested many times is connecting a
hotkey to the Gnome foot menu (eg. that nasty windows keys that most
people seem to have).  I think this possibly comes under the wm-spec,
although I'm not sure how best to implement it.  My first idea would be to
have it as a proxying thing like the current root window scheme, but
there's probably a neater solution.  Any ideas?

I think that as far as allocating the key goes, the app should say to the
window manager "I would like a hotkey", and it is up to the wm to decide
which key it uses at the hotkey.

Do we want to extend it to work with several possible hotkeys?  Using just
one would be limiting - I have three such keys on my keyboard...  In my
ideal world I'd have one connected to the foot menu, and one connected to
the pager...

Any comments?

cheers,

Paul