Re: Work in Progress: draft 1.9a

Marko Macek <Marko.Macek@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
>         _NET* window manager hints,protocols... proposal draft 1.9a

> _NET_SUPPORTED, CARDINAL/32
>
> This property is supposed to be set by the window manager to indicate
> whether the protocol is supported and up to which version.
>
> [[Is this flexible enough? Would it be better to have a list of
> supported atoms?]]

I think that a list of supported atoms would be better. There should
be a way for the external apps to know if they can do something or
not. (adding desktops for example)

Question:

does anyone know how XFree 4.0 is going to deal w/ multiheaded
displays? will the applications and window manager not see the
difference? (other than the size of the root window)?

if there is a difference between displays :0.0, :0.1 ? how do the
hints described by Marko work in that environment? I guess speculation
here is silly until the answer above is known.

even in the first case, we may still want to be able to split them
into two different desktops and have a pager for each. (just dreaming,
this will be fun to play with when 4.0 comes out)

henri naccache

wmx + gnome! (Alan Cox uses it! ok, so it's a heavily
modified version, but still...)

http://www.nidal.com/~henri/wmx