Re: Work in Progress: draft 1.9a

On Sun, 04 Jul 1999, Marko Macek wrote:

> > > One thing usefull in MWM hints is that a WM can prevent the parent
> > > window from being focused by default.
> >
> > I'm not opposed to adding this to the new standard. But as I said: according to
> > ICCCM the application should do this itself, using the WM_TAKE_FOCUS protocol.
> > In other words: the app receives WM_TAKE_FOCUS for the parent and will call
> > XSetInputFocus for the modal dialog.
>
> Doesn't that mean that window border will momentarily go to the parent
> window?

no, not at all. Why should it?

> This modal thing reminds me of something else: Currently
> application-modal windows are not handled very nicely (in Qt anyway).
> When you click on one of the main windows, it will be raised and then Qt
> raised the app-modal dialog again. This is annoying.

Put it this way: if a window manager allows to raise the main window over a
transient dialog, it's a bug in the window manager. For exactly this purpose,
Qt has to have code in it to raise the modal dialogs manually :-(

I also wish, all window managers would keep transient windows on top of their
respective main windows.

Matthias