1.9d

Hiya,

1.9d is up at http://ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk/~pdw/wm-spec/

I'm afraid it is not quite in the state that I wanted, but I will not have
time to work on it again for at least the next few days, and I wanted to
get something up sooner rather than later to keep things moving.

I have attempted to make the specification somewhat more rigorous,
adopting Jim's suggestion to use RFC 2119 language where applicable, and
also by dividing interested parties up into WM, Pagers&Taskbars, other
Apps.

I have a todo list of things that I intended to put in, but have not had
time to write up.  Mostly these are suggestions/reminders from Tim Janik:

o _NET_VIRTUAL_ROOT
o _NET_WM_HANDLED_ICONS - set by taskbar to indicate that there is no need
for the WM to provide icons for minimised windows.
o Mandate ICCCM compliant window moves.
o Detection of compliant Window Managers - should set a property on WM
owned window, to avoid stale root window property if the WM dies
unexpectedly.
o Expand on write up of _NET_ACTIVATE.
o Context help - implement basic protocol for WM to invoke context help on
client window.

Tim, perhaps you could expand on some of these for discussion on the list,
or write them up formally for inclusion in the spec.

Like I say, I will not have much time to work on this over the next week,
and I lose my free/fast net connection tomorrow :-( so perhaps somebody
else could do another revision.  Alternatively, if people wish to write up
small parts of the spec *as they should appear in the spec* I will merge
them into the existing draft and publish them.

I strongly recommend that no more new features go into the spec, and that
we concentrate on weeding out problems, inconsistencies and errors in what
we have so far.

cheers,

Paul