Re: Comments on 1.9c

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Jim Gettys wrote:

> I find the spec not very rigorous: in particular, it isn't clear
> who the players are (wm, client application, panel, etc.),
> and who does what when to whom.

Yes, I think you have a point.  It makes the distinction between WM and
client reasonably clear, but doesn't distinguish between a taskbar/pager
client, and an application client.  It probably should, for clarity.

> I recommend use of the terminology used in RFC 2119, along with making
> it clear what the responsibility of each class of client is in the
> manipulation of each property. See: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2119.txt

Haven't checked, but I'm guessing that's the MUST, SHOULD, MUST NOT, etc
RFC.

> Aren't some of the "Implementation Notes" at the end really more of an
> introduction to what the protocol is attempting to achieve?  Shouldn't
> those become an introduction?

Quite possibly.  Some of them are reminders to use the ICCCM, as an
explanation of why certain things are not in the spec, and I think should
be notes at the end.

> Packaging the hints into 2 X properties for performance.
>
> Don't do this!!!!

[...]

> If round trips are a problem to fetch multiple properties, you
> write yourself an Xlib routine to retrieve multiple properties
> in one round trip.

OK, I'll take your word for this.  I couldn't find where these properties
were discussed on the mailing list.  Does anyone wish to defend their
place in the spec?

> The definition of  ARGB image type for icons isn't very clear.

The description could be better, but it's a pretty basic format:
Alpha Red Green Blue values.

> Question:
> is there some existing image format that can be adopted "whole hog" rather
> than introducing another one?

I'm no expert on this, but the ARGB array seems a pretty straight forward
way to do it.  I don't think there is any need for the added complication
of some other format.

cheers,

Paul