Re: [Vala] valaDevelop

> My personal experience was that I tried to run it on my Elementary 4.1
Dependency say -> Elementary >= 5.0
With Elementary>= 5 valaDevelop runs out of the box...

> If you had no plans of making money with
Definitely not!

In the case of having the source code I would even could tried to
compile downgrading the GTK version without losing features
I understand, but even i you have the source it would not work in order of other dependencies(you can try meson build with the C source)

> That's where immediately went back to Sublime Text.
As a developer, I used editors and tools 30 years ago, I did not believe that this is always the case.

And if you file a issue, to let me know you have a problem, i may be able to make valaDevelop run on Elementray 4.1

Am 11.05.19 um 08:27 schrieb Dev_NIX:
I feel like Canek, but I have to give all my kudos to Rastersoft. There are not much documented Vala source samples around there and each example helps people to get used to the language. I can understand the corporate background, but the companies relays in one way or another on open source software. If you had no plans of making money with (Yet Another) IDE, I don't see the point of not open sourcing it.

My personal experience was that I tried to run it on my Elementary 4.1 box (not so old, I guess!) and I had a GTK dependency problem that I could not fix. That's where immediately went back to Sublime Text.

In the case of having the source code I would even could tried to compile downgrading the GTK version without losing features, or even baking an appimage. Just didn't saw the point of so much activity on the mail list when I had a binary that just didn't run, and a pile of messages with so humbleless attitude. I don't want this to be interpreted as a flame, but a constructive point of view that may help you in future projects (or maybe even still this one).

Kind regards.

El vie., 10 may. 2019 21:42, Canek Peláez Valdés via vala-list <vala-list gnome org <mailto:vala-list gnome org>> escribió:

    On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 8:06 AM Wolfgang Mauer
    <wolfgang mauer kabelmail de <mailto:wolfgang mauer kabelmail de>>
    wrote:

    > I think(hope) it's not just because it's not open source...

    It is because it's not open source.

    Best regards.
-- Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés
    Profesor de Carrera Asociado C