Re: [Vala] Newbie need help

I find Anjuta to be usable, good for setting up projects and ok for
debugging (you have to have some understanding of the Gobject structure to
use it though, and "this." is "self->"). Anjuta ctags understands Vala, so
go to declaration works, etc. Symbol completion is pretty good, and
generally understands the context of the completion.

Mostly however, I use Sublime Text with the Vala package installed (Vala
and Vala-TMBundle - not sure if the second helps, but I've had it installed
from way back).  Install the ctags package and make sure to set up ctags to
use anjuta-ctags.  Here are my ctags settings:
{
  "debug": true,
  "autocomplete": true,
  "opts" : ["-V", "--languages=Vala", "--exclude='Make*'",
    "--exclude='Optimized/*'", "--exclude='Debug/*'"],
  "command": "/usr/bin/anjuta-tags"
}

Mostly I set up projects using Anjuta, and then use autogen.sh with
suitable CTAGS options to regenerate the project, "make" to make it and gdb
for debugging.  In gdb ^X^A and ^XA are very useful keystrokes for going in
to/out of visual mode. My gdb settings are:

set print pretty on
set confirm off
set height 0
set width 0
set history save on

def cl
  if $argc == 0
    tbreak +1
    continue
  else
    tb $arg0
    continue
  end
end

def jb
  if $argc == 1
    tbreak $arg0
    jump $arg0
  end
end

def fatalc
  set environment G_DEBUG = fatal-criticals
end

I have found Vala/glib and associated libraries to be a highly productive
development tool, better than C++ in general despite a few peculiarities.
It has simpler semantics more suitable for my typical work.  It does take a
bit of getting used to, but I hope you'll find it worthwhile.

Good Luck!

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 8:13 AM Wolfgang Mauer <wolfgang mauer kabelmail de>