Re: [Vala] Date format

  On Wednesday, 28 March 2018, 11:50:33 BST, rastersoft <raster rastersoft com> wrote: > Yes, but the problem
is that, in Spain, we use the opposite format: we write first the day's number, > then the month's name, and
finally the year, so I need to know if in my current locale I have > to "%B %e, %Y", or "%e %B %Y" (without
the comma), and so on... That's my problem. > Using '%c' does that, but adds a lot of extra information that
I don't want, like the timezone.
Aha, I understand now. I don't know the answer. There doesn't appear to be a ready madesolution. I would say
that here in the UK the format 28 March 2018 is often used. The same asin Spain. I know that in the USA a
date written as 5/3/2018 is the same as 3/5/2018 in the UK(03 May 2018). So generally I go for day of the
month, followed by word of the month and full year.This at least helps makes the date unambiguous for the
Gregorian calendar. As long as thereader can distinguish the day, month and year.

I do also know that styles can change over time. So often in the UK a datewas written 3rd May 2018. Then some
years ago it was decided in my workplace that this was tooold fashioned and it was changed to 3 May 2018.
This was for a public service dealing with millions of contacts a year from all over the UK. Now I'm often
seeing 03 May 2018.
May be it is just open to too much variation that it has never been coded in to a library. Inessence it is
better to convey the meaning of the date unambiguously rather that meet thestylistic requirements of any
locale.
I'm curious about the ordering of day, month, year for the Gregorian calendar in other locales and if there
is a library for that.
Regards,
Al