Re: [Vala] The future of Vala

It's just very tiring when one's efforts are ignored for weeks and
the general impression is that new
developers are something the project doesn't give a tuppeny-cuss
about…

You know, it's still volunteer work. The time has to come from
somewhere.

In addition to that, I also believe that Jürg's decision not to merge
the patch is misguided. If clear and

That's probably driven by the history of people yelling at him for
breaking vala-based projects again.

obvious bugs like that (short summary: the compiler accepts code such
as List<int> l = new ArrayList<string>())
are retained because of broken third-party projects (shotwell was
mentioned), then it's impossible to move
things forward. And guess what: open source developers do what they
do because they do want to move things
forward. And if they can't do it in vala, they'll soon find some
other, more welcoming project. And while
I understand the importance of backwards compatibility, I don't think
it's as important for vala as it is for,
say, the kernel. Unlike the kernel, one machine can easily run two
different versions of the compiler
simultaneously, and if the shotwell people want to compile old,
broken code, I think it's entirely reasonable
to expect them to keep an old, broken compiler version around to do
so. Of course, the far more likely case is
that they, like basically anyone else, actually *want* the compiler
to tell them about their broken code so they
can fix it! Not to mention all the other user who'd like to have this
fix…

Or, you know, maybe you could just talk to "the shotwell people"
instead of making assumptions - I had no idea about this until
accidentally reading this thread.