Re: [Vala] [OT] Vala -> C#

Excuse me but are you suggesting that Vala users should write a tool that
eases migration from Vala to C#? You are free to do it by yourself.

I agree that documentation, and overall support is incomparable between
Vala and any other enterprise-backed language and it might be much better
but what you are suggesting is an overkill. Many open source projects lack
this "developer happines" aspect as they are mainly curated by nerds, not
"product owners" but what you can do here is use time you spend on
complaining on improving this. If you don't get that philosophy, you should
stay in the safe harbour of enterprise languages.

Moreover, if speed of development was your primary need, it's your (or your
CTO if you have one) fault that you have chosen quite immature, niche
language for your work. There are shitloads of languages and frameworks
that are aimed at doing stuff fast, usually in exchange for performance,
resources consumption or low-level access to the bare metal.

I also sometimes spend ages on debugging low level stuff in Vala. But I
don't complain because it's still the best choice for writing
GStreamer-backed, truly cross platform multimedia applications that won't
get accidental lock because of garbage collector. For this use case it's
close to perfection. Maybe your use case was just differentbut. I am not
sure if your disappointment is fault of Vala and tools for migrating to C#
would have sorted that issue out.

Still, I agree that even within open source community there are examples of
better documentation/support/whatsoever but I consider this to be secondary
to your arguments.

m.

If having an IDE is high on your list check out builder. It's support
for
Vala is getting better every release. They are also really good about
taking
new contributors.

Thank you,
Steven N. Oliver

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 7:49 PM -0700, "Edwin De La Cruz"