Re: [Vala] Throughts/Reviews of "GNOME 3 Application Development Beginner's Guide"

      From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org>
 Sent: Thursday, 21 July 2016, 15:30
 Subject: [Vala] Throughts/Reviews of "GNOME 3 Application Development Beginner's Guide"

I have developed in a variety of platforms and languages;  but I am
interested in speeding up my development of a [fat] application in
GNOME using Vala, and getting up the bottom of the learning curve.

There seems to be a rather thin selection of material.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383
openSUSE, a LINUX desktop for humans who need to get work done.

You should become familiar with Glade to create windows/widgets, GResource
to package them in the binary, and the GtkTemplate Vala attribute to access theGlade definitions. Luc Chante
provided a good example last month:https://mail.gnome.org/archives/vala-list/2016-June/msg00075.html
Although I think an object's properties should be accessed with this.property = value;Rather than Object(
property_name: value ); See:https://mail.gnome.org/archives/vala-list/2016-June/msg00076.html

Once you are familiar with the process take a look
at:https://developer.gnome.org/gnome-devel-demos/stable/beginner.vala.html.enfor useful widgets and signals.
All the best,
Al