Re: [Vala] backwards compatibility

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 01:52:59PM +0100, Jrg Billeter wrote:
If a package, rather than testing for features (what are the sort of
features one could test for in vala?), feeds e.g., vala>= 0.20 to
pkg_check_modules, then one has to keep a copy of vala-0.20 around,
and so on for all the various vala using packages?

Well-maintained packages are expected to always build with the latest
stable Vala version. For packages that haven't been updated in a while,
I would still recommend to first try to build with the latest stable
Vala version. Depending on the age of the package, it should just work
in most cases or require only small changes. Where necessary, `#if
VALA_0_XY` can be used to support multiple Vala versions in a single
code base.

That seems like a much better state of affairs. So I can expect in
an ideal world to just keep a copy of the latest stable Vala version,
and the original pessimistic view applies to the non-ideal reality
of software with its myriad bugs? (It is hard to tell when meeting
a new language - python versions are a real issue, so vala could
have been in the same boat hence the question...)

Cheers,

Patrick