[Vala] Parallel programming in Vala?

Hello,

I am currently a PhD student at University of Crete (Dept. of Applied
Mathematics).

So far, I have been developing my code mainly in Matlab and sometimes in
C.
However, I would like to get rid of the licenses and use only free
software.

My first thought was to develop exclusively in C (I love it) but it
would be a step backward for my productivity.

Then, I considered the Python language as a good alternative but
I don't like its syntax and I would prefer to avoid scripting languages.

I am a big fan of Gnome 3, so I thought that using of the Vala
programming language for my research programming would be a good idea. I
looked up in the vala documentation and really I love the features of
Vala.

Nevertheless, I wonder if I could use Vala for parallel computations
using a parallel toolbox like mpich, openmpi or CUDA.This is significant
for me because I am going to run my code using the facilities of
University. Does someone use Vala for scientific calculations? I already
have found out that there is a gsl port to Vala!

I hope that there is an easy way to produce parallel code in Vala.
Otherwise, I will rather consider the Python as a serious candidate.

Thank you,

Costas Smaragdakis