Re: [Vala] A brand new build system

In many cases the different needs concern different people in the same
project - not necessary different projects. For example it might be easy
for you and user who just download it from website but is it easy to
package? You 'just' need to allow setting DESTDIR or equivalent for
installation to install into different root.

Compiling libraries on different platforms can have it's own problems
(-fPIC vs -fpic, different tools, export lists etc.). Gentoo users will
want to specifiy different flags (for example I expect that build system
will build with -O2 -ggdb -march=native so I get optimized version with
debug symbols). The list goes on.

See also:
- Self ad:
http://blog.piechotka.com.pl/2013/04/13/dont-write-your-own-build-system/,
- Not a self ad:
https://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/10/good-developers-dont-necessarily-create-good-build-systems
- A description of cmake infancy problems, which were later described,
in the eye of Gentoo QA developer including problems setting of rpath
(no, I don't understand the details - I will when something forces me to
look into ELF resolution process): https://blog.flameeyes.eu/tag/cmake

Best regards