Re: [Vala] Gtk+ bindings update

Right sorry that's due to the GIR.

Some things seem wrong. For example Gtk.get_default_language return should
be unowned. Why is it owned now?
I guess the same goes for all other static methods.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Evan Nemerson <evan coeus-group com> wrote:

On Thu, 2014-08-21 at 21:39 +0200, Luca Bruno wrote:
Certainly that kind of splitting is unfeasible. I understand there are a
bunch of fixes, however applications work somehow and I wouldn't like to
break them. Also, even if Vala is hosted at GNOME, I remind you there's
plenty of projects relying on Vala. Other applications are as important
as
GNOME applications.

Of course, but if they're not GNOME projects they probably don't really
care about the freeze.

However, in the case of other applications, those may as well keep using
Vala 0.24. After all, distributions ship with multiple versions and Vala
is
parallel-installable exactly for this reason.

In reality, my main concern is about the concrete accessors bug. How much
stuff does that bug affect? Would it be possible to just drop in a
custom.vala for those until the bug gets fixed?

(For those of you who don't know what he is talking about, bug #730744)

Rico, correct me if I'm wrong, but the concrete accessor bug doesn't
affect Rico's patches.

Are you suggesting we just do the switch to GIR now instead of this?  It
should be possible to just copy the old stuff from the VAPI and dump it
in a custom.vala for now, yes.  Of course, it would end up being a
pretty big custom.vala, and a big chunk of metadata to skip all the
relevant symbols, but certainly possible.  If memory serves it just
switching to the GIR version without copying over that stuff would break
a *lot* of stuff and I don't think that's an option.  I'm okay with
that, but I'm not sure I will have time soon enough.

From the VAPI's perspective switching to GIR but overriding the concrete
accessor stuff should be roughly equivalent to accepting Rico's patch.
AFAIK all he did was go through the diff to the GIR version and add the
GIDL equivalent.

--
www.debian.org - The Universal Operating System