Re: [Vala] [Fwd: Binary File is not seekable ?!?]

from http://valadoc.org/#!api=gio-2.0/GLib.Seekable
seek on FileIOStream run without error but seeking with DataInputStream
throw an error.... but none on Windows... :-?
I will try to change my source code to test.

code sample.vala
public static int main (string[] args) {
        File file = File.new_for_path ("my-test.txt");

        try {
                FileIOStream ios =  file.open_readwrite();

        // no error
                assert (ios.can_seek ());
        // no error
                ios.seek (11, SeekType.SET);

                InputStream @is = ios.input_stream;
                DataInputStream dis = new DataInputStream (@is);

                string line;
                while ((line = dis.read_line ()) != null) {
                        stdout.puts (line);
                        stdout.putc ('\n');
                }

                // display error
                dis.seek(0,SeekType.SET);

        } catch (Error e) {
                stdout.printf ("Error: %s\n", e.message);
        }

        return 0;
}

OUTPUT

$ cat my-test.txt
My first line
My second line

$ valac --pkg gio-2.0 sample.vala
cyriac arche:~/src$ ./sample
ne
My second line

(process:29159): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_seekable_seek: assertion
`G_IS_SEEKABLE (seekable)' failed

I've downloaded source tarball of Vala 0.22, compiled and install it but
no effect... :-/

I was wondering if it was not a system problem. But I can not admit that I
would have to reinstall linux to make it work. I'll search for reinstall
only glib....

Thanks

Raum

Seems like it is problem with glib2 package, try to reinstall it, I
can't
say how it exactly called in Ubuntu, because I'm not an Ubuntu user.

                   From:
raum no-log orgSent:
??????,
26
??????
2013
?.
22:17To:
vala-list gnome orgSubject:
Re:
[Vala]
[Fwd:
Binary
File
is
not
seekable
?!?]
Hello,

Let me explain. I want to create a tool for Linux and Windows.

I need to open a binary file and seek to a position... With MingW on
Windows, it runs without error but on Linux, I've a "seekable" error
with
the same code, same compile options, etc.

I dont understand why...

##### Code

 public void main() {
    try {
       File file = File.new_for_path ("test.pcap");
       DataInputStream dis = new DataInputStream (file.read ());
       stdout.printf("seekable: %s\n",(dis.can_seek())?"true":"false");
    } catch (Error e) {
    }
 }

##### WINDOWS 32bits / MingW32

$ valac --pkg gio-2.0 seek.vala
$ ./seek
seekable: true

###### LINUX -Ubuntu 13.03- 64 bits

$ valac --pkg gio-2.0 seek.vala
$ ./seek
(process:8097): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_seekable_can_seek: assertion
`G_IS_SEEKABLE (seekable)' failed
seekable: false

Do you have an idea why it's running on Windows but not on Linux ?

Thanks

Raum