Re: [Vala] ArrayList reference count question

On 27 October 2013 15:59, Andre Masella <andre masella name> wrote:
The increase in reference happens inside ArrayList *before* it returns the
value.

Ok, got it.

You can't assign an owned variable to an unowned variable and expect good
things to happen because there might be no other owners

What if I have an ArrayList in the main() function which holds a bunch
of objects, after that all I need are weak refs to the elements into
that list.? The list will never die until the app ends. I'm guessing
this would mean manual pointer work and freeing.

I really don't see the fuss in their being a higher reference count that you
think. The cost is small, particularly if your program isn't multi-threaded.

It's not so much a fuss as me trying to understand the flow of things.
I come from Pythonville, so the spectre of memory leaks is new to me.

Thanks again, great info!
\d