Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 16:25:27 +0200
Subject: Re: [Vala] Properties == GObject properties?
From: nyocurio gmail com
To: tal_hd hotmail com
CC: vala-list gnome org

2013/10/11 Tal Hadad <tal_hd hotmail com>

 Hi,

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Tal Hadad <tal_hd hotmail com> wrote:

First time I hear not all properties are GObject.

Suppose I have this property:

public int 1numbered { get; set; }

This is not a GObject property, since it's started with a number.

You can't have that at all, see

https://wiki.gnome.org/Vala/Tutorial#Syntax_Overview :

"For identifier names the same rules apply as for C identifiers: the

first character must be one of [a-z], [A-Z] or an underscore,

subsequent characters may additionally be digits [0-9]."

Signal names also must start with a letter:

https://developer.gnome.org/gobject/stable/gobject-Signals.html#g-signal-new

Regards, Simon

But suppose there's a property which is valid for Vala, but can't be GObject property,

what then would be the answer for my questions?

Hi,
the answer would be: yes, you would _not_ be able to connect to a 'notify'signal for a property that's not
backed by GObject managed properties
(such as would happen for Compact classes), and yes, you should still beable to emit a custom signal from
withing any getter/setter, as those arejust syntactical sugar that turn

    obj.a = 14;
into
    myobj_set_a(obj, 14);
Of course you would have to declare the 'notify' signal.
Jonas