Re: [Vala] gir filename convention

On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 01:13 +0100, rastersoft wrote:
Hi all:

I'm starting to work with GIR and have a doubt: what is the file name
convention? It seems to be libraryname-X.Y.gir, but my question is: is
allowed the format libraryname-X.Y.Z.gir, or it must be always
libraryname-X.Y.gir?

The format is actually Namespace-APIVersion.gir.

The namespace is not necessarily the same as the name of the library...
for example, there is GLib-2.0 not glib-2.0, GstBase-1.0 not
gstreamer-base-1.0, etc.

As for the version numbers, it's important to note that they are the
version of the API, not the version of the library.  For example,
GLib-2.0 not GLib-2.34 (or GLib.2.34.2).  People make their code depend
on a namespace + version, so changing the version should only be done
when your API changes in a way which is not backwards-compatible.

Unless your library breaks backwards compatibility with every revision,
X.Y.Z is probably *not* what you want.  The convention is generally to
have X.Y versions, but Y is almost always 0, since most libraries only
break backwards compatibility with major releases.  There is one
library, the GNOME Docking Library, which uses Gdl-3.gir instead of
Gdl-3.0.gir.

-Evan