[Vala] Getters and setters in vapi files

Hi,
  I've written a C library and used vapigen to create the vapis for it. In
the generated files there are some properties defined like:
    public int index { get; set; }

  And the accessor methods (which I use from C and only return the value of
the property) duplicating this 'get' and 'set' functionality:
    public int get_index ();
    public void set_index (int index);

  What I want to do is to tell Vala to call my methods when the Vala code
gets or sets the properties using the notation:
    i = object.index;
    object.index = 42;
instead of translating it to a g_object_set call.

  Is there any way to do this?

  Regards,
    Alex