Re: [Vala] [Announce] Repository for third-party Vala bindings

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Jim Nelson <jim yorba org> wrote:

Hi Evan,

Is there any thought that this repo might be a staging ground for
migrating VAPIs into Vala distribution?

It may be used that way occasionally, but I don't plan to push people
to do that.  If a binding is popular and the library it binds doesn't
want to ship it then we can generally just add it directly to valac.
If we need to we can always mark the binding as experimental for a
while (like we did for GStreamer-1.0) to avoid any illusions of
backwards-compatibility promises.

Also, will there be packaging efforts to get these out into the distros?

No.  Not only do I not plan on making any efforts to get them
packaged, I would discourage any distributions from doing so.

If we depend on a system-installed version of a VAPI we basically have
to make a serious effort to provide backwards compatibility (or ask
distributions to package many different versions, which I don't think
is acceptable).  vala-extra-vapis is designed to be used as a git
submodule so that if/when to upgrade is up to the packages using it.

As I mentioned in my original message, I don't plan on providing a lot
of oversight or review for these bindings, so there is no way that I
can make promises about backwards compatibility.