Re: [Vala] [Announce] Repository for third-party Vala bindings

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Evan Nemerson <evan coeus-group com>wrote:

Metadata, as well as *-custom.vala and any other tooling necessary to
generate bindings can in the vala-extra-vapis-supplemental repository.
The generated bindings themselves can go into vala-extra-vapis
repository.

Great!  I look forward to getting this in.

What do you mean by "generated bindings" in this case?

The WebKitGTK+ people were willing to distribute Vala bindings with
WebKit.  If that is still the case then that is what should happen, for
the reasons listed in the upstream guide, which are mostly the same
reasons I'm not excited about the possibility of distributing them with
valac.  WebKitGTK+ is a large API (actually, several large APIs), and
beyond generating a lot of churn I'm sure there will be a fair number of
issues from targeting the wrong version due to a mismatch between the
installed library and the version used to generate the VAPI.

With more than a year of inactivity, I think we can safely say there's not
much interest in vapis on the part of the WebKitGTK team.  But now that
they have GIR support, why does it matter?

Anyway, sorry for derailing this thread even further.

 - Eric