Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:23:17 +0200
From: raster rastersoft com
To: vala-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Vala] Volatile keyword in Vala(please answer)

It's supposed that a volatile variable can change "magically" (this is,
being modified by another thread, a device driver...), so the compiler
has to take that into account when doing optimizations.

A crude example in C:

    volatile int v=1;
    while(v==1) {
        sleep(1);
    }

(Let's assume that another thread will change the 'v' variable when
whatever-has-to-occur happens). In this example, the "volatile" is
mandatory because, without it, the C compiler probably will transform
that in something like:

    if (v==1) {
loop:
        sleep(1);
        goto loop
    }

optimizing the loop and doing the comparison one time, only at the
start, because it sees that the variable isn't being modified inside.
But when you add the "volatile", the C compiler will know that the
variable can be changed from other parts of the code, avoiding that
optimization and comparing the value in each loop.

"volatile" is a reserver keyword in C, so implementing it in Vala would
mean little more than adding it directly in the C source when found in
Vala source.