Re: [Vala] How to: Cross Compile Vala to Win32/64

On 10/20/2012 09:33 PM, bsquared wrote:
Hello,

It's been a while since I have looked at Vala.  I am preparing to write
a simple app that I would like to make available for Linux and Windows.

I am having trouble finding documentation to cross-compile an app
written in Vala to Windows binary.  I want to code the project in Anjuta
and compile both Linux and Windows versions from this code base using
Linux mingw tools.

The fact that you're using Vala shouldn't make much of a difference. If
you're using a build system that is capable of cross-compiling C code
with GCC and compiles Vala to C instead of using a short-cut, then you
should be able to follow the documentation for cross-compiling with your
chosen build system.

If you're using Anjuta, you should have some IDE support for
autoconf/automake, and these build tools, while notoriously unintuitive,
are extremely powerful, quite well documented, and have as good support
for cross compiling as you're likely to get. I expect that any
documentation of cross-compiling to windows using automake will apply to
a Vala project that uses automake's built in Vala support.

Cross compiling will still be a pain in the ass, of course. Also, if you
ask me, you shouldn't rely on wine for testing, but rather get a copy of
Windows to run in a VM (or, ideally, on actual hardware), or just don't
release Windows binaries in the first place.

Thomas Jollans

I do not actually have a Windows based machine available.  I will do
testing in Wine with gtk+2.24 runtime enviroment for Windows.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get started on this?

Thank you.