Re: [Vala] Vala on Embedded Devices

Thank you all for your input.

I'd like to add a third scenario to Dmitry's two. Rather than generalizing
this scenario, I'll give my specifics. Generalize as you like.

- Product turnover is important. We generally move from schematic to
shippable in six to eight weeks.
- Need peripherals that may not be available on slower microprocessors.
- Need to perform one thing among many quickly. Often I'll use a tight loop
to handle a single responsibility and let everything else run in the
background. (Generally a main loop & interrupt driven structure)
- Want to give room for future improvements. If we're right at a code size
boundary, we'll often bump the microprocessor to a superior model to allow
for in-field bootloading. Sometimes this comes with a 'free' RAM or
frequency boost.

I can definitely see Vala being useful for 'main loop' tasks - tasks that
don't need to be done *now* and that may be shared among products.
Essentially, I live in a realm below .NET/Java/Python, but would still like
modern syntax.

I have some spare time at work right now, so I hope to prototype a Vala
application for PIC32 embedded systems.

George.