Re: [Vala] [newbie] Help editing PNG images with Vala?

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 02:26:00PM -0400, Adam wrote:
Hi!

I've been trying to learn Vala, and I've assigned myself a few tasks
to get started. I'm pretty fluent in C# (.NET), so Vala syntax
hasn't been much of a problem.

Currently, I'm trying to move beyond some of the basics, and write a
command line program with the following requirements:
1. The program must edit a png file, modifying each pixel according
to an internal algorithm.
2. The program must *not* load the entire file into the memory; it
should only load and edit one row of pixels at a time, and save them
after each edit. This will allow for editing huge files.
3. The program must be able to run on both Windows and Linux. I'm
currently stuck in a Windows environment because my main box is
having problems.

Can anyone help me get started with this? If I use libpng, do I need
to write a .vapi file for it?

Yes if you don't find anything already on internet.

Any particular challenges I will run into?

There's no specific documentation on how to write vapi files, but there's
documentation about CCode attributes etc., and there's plenty of vapi files
out there you can look at.

--
http://www.debian.org - The Universal Operating System