Re: [Vala] benchmarks on Vala?

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Didip Kerabat <didipk gmail com> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to the language and the community.

Welcome.
If you haven't done so already, you can also join our IRC channel.
It's a good place to discuss simpler questions about the basics of the language.

I'm wondering if anyone here have benchmarked Vala against Mono, for example.
In particular: performance of basic types and garbage collection.

I don't know about any recent benchmarks, but I think Vala will
generally be a bit slower than Mono, but more memory efficient.
It is definitely way faster than Python or JavaScript. It's much
easier and faster to write a program in it compared to C or C++.

I, personally, see the greatest benefit in the fact Vala compiles to C
compatible native binaries, so you can use any Vala library you write
in virtually any other (practical) language.

Hope that answers at least some of your questions :)