[Vala] profile code functionality

Hello,

recently I discovered vala and I'm really fascinated!

I hope this list is ok for my vala internal question,
but vala-devel-list looks a bit silent.

Here my question:
I understand, currently there are three profiles,
gobject, posix, and dova which will produce
"binary incompatible" code, e.g. strings could
not be passed between modules generated with
different profiles.

I also saw in valacompiler.vala in case of
a unknown profile an error is reported:
  Report.error (null, "Unknown profile ...

But what will happen when the compiler would
not exit on a unknown profile?
Which features of vala would be not available?
(Sure, all the glib functionality/binding would
not work.)

What is the function of the profile code in the
overall vala language design? Is it "only" responsible
for the object hierarchy and type system, or for more?

Many thanks,
Peter