Re: [Vala] vala IDE on OSX

I tried Monodevelop under Linux (Ubuntu 11.04).

Under Linux it does not seem very interesting, since it does not appear to
provide methods dot-complete.

Therefore I did not try it under Mac OS X.

   - Under Mac OS X my favourite Vala editor is Vim (I can use ctags-vala
   with it, which is not quite auto-complete, but it is the next best thing)
   - Under Ubuntu, I use gedit with the gtv, valencia, and word-complete
   plugings.

To go back the theme of gtk under Mac, It seems stable enough (if installed
via "Mac Ports", which is a Debian-like  command-line package management
system), in the sense that gtk C code (for gtk-2) will compile.

It is stable enough to compile Vala itself in any case.

The real problem here appears to be that :

   - The plugins for Gedit use the latest versions of gtk-3, available only
   on Debian Sid.
   - Conservative versions of Linux (stable versions of Linux and Linux
   ports, MacPorts included) use far older versions of the gtk library.

Hence the discrepancy between the Gedit plugins and Mac OS X (or
conservative versions of Linux, Like Ubuntu 10.04 LTS).

Conclusion.

   - The latest version of the vtg plugin works ony under Debian unstable
   (not optimal).
   - Slightly more conservative of Linux, like Ubuntu 11.04 LTS can make use
   of some deprecated versions of vtg + Gedit.
   - Really stable versions of Linux, like Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (and also Mac OS
   X, for that matter) cannot use Gedit plugins for Vala.

 Serge.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:20 AM, Alexandre Rosenfeld <