[Vala] gobject-introspect vs gir

Hi,

I am trying to understand write-vala-bindings fu and I would like to
clarify a couple of questions related to gen-introspect tool. There is
almost no information in wiki about it.

http://live.gnome.org/Vala/Bindings page recommends 2-step vapi generation
  1) Generate *.gi file using gen-introspect tool. It works for glib-style code.
  2) Generate vapi file using vapigen tool

Both tools are located in Vala repository. Why there are 2 steps here?

I also see a gir branch in Vala repository and it makes me believe
that this is the next gen-introspect tool. Where I can find more info
about *.gir format? What is the plan, are you going to replace
gen-introspect with it? Is it vala-specific or it is comes from glib?

I am trying to process Apache Thrift source code with gen-introspect
and I think that there is a bug. Should I try to fix it (or/and report
to bugzilla) or it is better to wait for gir-... stuff?